AKS Graduate Fellowship
The AKS Graduate Fellowship is a non-degree program which invites international graduate students to the AKS and supports them for six months, providing them with a momentum to grow to be a next generation of promising scholars in Korean studies. Those who aspire to widen and deepen their knowledge of Korea by conducting research at GSKS are very welcome to apply.
A. Monthly stipend of KRW750,000
B. An economy-class round trip airfare
C. The on-campus guesthouse is available free of charge.
D. Fellowship Period : 6 months (From 1st Sep to 28th Feb next year)
E. Fellows will designate one of the AKS’ professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor, who will guide them through the fellowship period.
F. Access to the AKS facilities including the library and Jangseogak Archives is given.
G. Korean language courses as well as cultural experience program are available free of charge.
As of the beginning of the fellowship period, applicants should meet all of the following criteria.
An applicant should be either a foreign national or a Korean national who has completed education outside of Korea which is compatible with Korea‘s elementary, middle, high school and college education.
Applicants must meet one of the following conditions :
① Applicants are enrolled in a Master’s or a doctoral degree program at an overseas university.
② Applicants completed coursework and are in the status of ABD (All But Dissertation) in a Master's degree program at an overseas university.
※ ABD students in a doctoral degree program at an overseas university are NOT eligible for AKS Graduate Fellowship, but eligible for AKS Fellowship run by the AKS’ Center for International Affairs.
An applicant's research topic should pertain to Korea/Korean studies.
Maximum Number of Fellows Sought per Year : 5
※ It is subject to change depending on the budget or the qualifications of applicants.
A. Proof of Eligibility in Academic Background
1) Fellows must submit an original copy of the certificate or a letter from their home university that verifies their eligibility in terms of academic background, i.e. that they are
① enrolled in a Master’s degree program; or
② completed coursework of a Master’s degree program; or
③ enrolled in a doctoral degree program and not yet in the ABD(All But Dissertation) status as of the beginning of the fellowship period.
2) Submission Deadline : Within 3 weeks after the fellowship period begins
B. Academic Advisor
◦Fellows must designate one of the AKS’ professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor.
C. Taking Courses
1) Fellows must take at least one major-specific course taught by their academic advisor, or design an independent study with fellow’s own topic and research plan with their academic advisor.
2) Credits are not given for courses taken. Instead, courses are graded S(Successful) or U(Unsuccessful), and fellows must obtain "S" for courses taken.
1) Towards the end of the fellowship period, there will be a presentation session where fellows must present their research findings.
E. Final Report
1) Completing their research, fellows must submit either a thesis or a report summarizing their research findings to both the Office of Academic & Student Affairs and their academic advisors before they leave the country.
2) A thesis or a report must be minimum 16,000 letters(including spaces) in length when written in Korean, and minimum 5,000 words when written in English, excluding the bibliography.
F. When publishing a thesis or a book with research findings achieved during the fellowship period, fellows must state that they are the outcome of the research conducted with the support of the Graduate School of Korean Studies, the Academy of Korean Studies.
G. Stay in Korea
1) Fellows must stay in Korea and concentrate on their research during the fellowship period. Exceptions can be made when fellows temporarily leave the country in order to present their research findings at an academic conference abroad with a prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate School of Korean Studies.
2) Towards the end of the fellowship period, fellows must submit the Certificate of Entry & Exit issued by the Community Service Center to the Office of Academic & Student Affairs and prove their stay in Korea.
3) During the fellowship period, fellows are not allowed to be engaged in other occupations for financial purposes.
4) During the fellowship period, fellows are not permitted to register at another educational institutions in Korea.
H. As for items not stipulated here, fellows must abide by the rules and regulations of the AKS and decisions of the Graduate School Committee.
◦ Tel: +82-31-730-8183
◦ Fax: +82-31-730-8189