- AKS Graduate Fellowship -
The Graduate School of Korean Studies(GSKS) in the Academy of Korean Studies is a research-oriented graduate institute established in 1980. We specialize in the fields of humanities and social sciences pertaining to Korea with the aim of nurturing eminent scholars of Korean studies who would search for the essence of Korean culture and contribute to the advancement and globalization of Korean studies. About 260 students including 120 international students from 31 countries are currently enrolled in our master's and doctoral degree programs, enjoying close one-to-one guidance by professors which our 1:4 faculty-student ratio enables.
The AKS Graduate Fellowship is one of our non-degree programs which invites and supports international students for six months, providing them with a momentum to grow to be a next generation of promising scholars in Korean studies and to play a leading role in the field abroad. Applications for the 2016 AKS Graduate Fellowship for the period from 1 September 2016 to 28 February 2017 (or from 1 March 2017 to 31 August 2017) are now being sought. Those who aspire to widen and deepen their knowledge of Korea by conducting research at our graduate school in one of the most dynamic countries in the world are very welcome to apply.
1. Fellowship Benefits
A. Monthly allowance of KRW900,000 is provided.
B. An economy-class round trip airfare at actual expense is provided within the limit prescribed by the GSKS Travel Expenses Policy (Please see the Attachment 2 "Maximum Round-trip Airfares Per Regions").
C. Fellowship Period : 6 months
1) 2016 Fall Semester (1st period): From 1 September 2016 to 28 February 2017
2) 2017 Spring Semester (2nd period): From 1 March 2017 to 31 August 2017
※ Applicants should select one of the fellowship periods.
D. Access to the AKS facilities including the library and Jangseogak Archives is given.
E. On-campus dormitory is available at the rate of KRW716,100 for 6 months, double occupancy.
F. Korean language courses are offered free of charge.
G. A Certificate of Completion can be issued for those who successfully completed the program.
2. Number of Fellows Sought : 00
3. Recruitment Schedule
A. Application Period : 25 April 2016 ~ 5:00PM 20 May 2016
B. Selection Result Announcement (AKS website(intl.aks.ac.kr/english) - Notice) : 6:00PM 24 June 2016
An applicant must be a foreign national or a Korean national who has completed education outside of Korea which is compatible with Korea's elementary, middle, high school and college education.
As of the application deadline, applicants must meet one of the following conditions :
① Applicants are enrolled in a master’s or a doctoral degree program at an overseas university.
② Applicants completed coursework and are in the status of ABD (All But Dissertation) in a master's or a doctoral degree program at an overseas university.
③ Applicants were conferred a master's degree at an overseas university.
As of the application deadline, applicants must reside in a foreign country outside of Korea.
An applicant's research topic should pertain to Korea/Korean studies.
※ Application from previous AKS Graduate Fellows is not accepted.
※ Applicants should designate one of the AKS professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor, referring to the list of the AKS' faculty members at http://intl.aks.ac.kr/english/viewforum.php?f=19
. The GSKS will designate an appropriate professor as an academic advisor for those who do not choose one.
B. Certificate of Graduation and official transcripts for a bachelor's degree
C. Certificate of Enrollment (or Coursework Completion or Graduation) and official transcripts for a master's degree
D. Certificate of Enrollment (or Coursework Completion) and official transcripts for a doctoral degree (if applicable)
E. Research Plan (3 pages in length with a free format)
F. Personal Statement (2 pages in length with a free format)
G. A Letter of Recommendation
◦ The recommender must be either an applicant's academic advisor or dean of the department in his/her undergraduate/graduate school.
◦ After completing the letter, the recommender must seal the envelope and sign across the envelope seal.
◦ The letter of recommendation should be sent by post either directly from the recommender to the Director of Academic and Student Affairs at GSKS, or being included in the application package.
H. Official transcripts for the Korean language proficiency test (TOPIK) or English language proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS or TEPS) (if applicable)
I. A copy of the first two pages of the applicant's passport
J. Two color ID photos (3.5cmX4.5cm) taken within the recent 6 months
6. Important Notes
A. All the certificates should be original copies.
B. All the above documents must be written in Korean or in English. If documents are written in a language other than Korean or English, they must be translated into and then notarized either in Korean or in English. Alternatively, instead of notarization, it is acceptable to submit translated documents which are confirmed by the issuing institute that the translation is correct.
C. Late applications after the submission deadline are not accepted.
D. Incomplete applications with missing documents are not accepted, and submitted documents are not returned.
7. Submission Guideline
◦ Complete the online application, save the data, print and submit it with the original copies of certificates and a letter of recommendation by post to the following address:
The Graduate School of Korean Studies
The Academy of Korean Studies
323 Haogaero Bundang-gu Seongnam-si Gyeonggi-do
Republic of Korea (Postcode: 13455)
◦ Send the other required documents (soft copies or scanned documents) via email to email@example.com
8. Fellows' Obligations
A. Fellows must designate one of the AKS professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor.
B. Course Enrollment
1) Fellows must take at least one major-specific course taught by their academic advisor or an individual study with their academic advisor.
2) Fellows must take at least one Korean language course allocated by the GSKS.
3) Fellows must obtain "S(Successful)" for courses taken.
※ Credits are not given for courses taken.
※ Courses are graded S(Successful) / U(Unsuccessful).
C. Final Report and Evaluation Report
1) Completing their research, fellows must submit either a thesis or a report summarizing their research findings and an evaluation report written by their academic advisor before they leave the country.
2) A thesis or a report must be minimum 16,000 letters(including spaces) in length when written in Korean, and minimum 5,000 words when written in English excluding the bibliography.
D. Towards the end of the fellowship period, there will be a meeting for reading research papers where fellows must present their research findings.
E. Fellows must stay in Korea and concentrate on their research during the fellowship period. However, exceptions can be made when fellows temporarily leave the country in order to present their papers in an academic conference with a prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate School of Korean Studies.
F. Towards the end of the fellowship period, fellows must present their passport and prove their stay in Korea. If it is found that a fellow stays abroad during the fellowship period, the monthly stipend will be deducted for the number of days spent overseas at the rate of KRW30,000 per day.
G. When publishing a thesis or a book with research findings of the fellowship period, fellows must state that it is an outcome of the research conducted with support of the Graduate School of Korean Studies in the Academy of Korean Studies.
H. During the fellowship period, fellows are not allowed to be engaged in other occupations for financial purposes.
I. During the fellowship period, fellows are not permitted to register at another educational institutions in Korea.
J. As for items not stipulated here, fellows must abide by the rules and regulations of the AKS and decisions of the Graduate School Committee.
9. Provision of Monthly Allowance and Airfare
A. Monthly Allowance
1) The monthly allowance is provided in the first week of each month, except in the first month of the fellowship period when payment is made after fellows provide the GSKS with a foreigner registration number issued by Seoul Immigration Office and a Korean bank account information.
2) Fellows who arrive in Korea after the starting date of fellowship period (spring semester: 1st March, fall semester: 1st September) will be paid the amount of first monthly allowance calculated by multiplying a daily stipend of KRW30,000 by the number of days for which fellows stay in Korea.
3) Fellows who depart Korea before 6months since their arrival date will be paid the amount of last monthly allowance calculated by multiplying a daily stipend of KRW30,000 by the number of days for which fellows stay in Korea.
4) Fellows cannot stay in their dormitory room after 6months from their arrival date.
1) A round trip airfare is provided in the final month.
2) Only 50% of the round trip airfare is offered in the following cases :
a) If fellows arrive in Korea before the notification of the selection result and reside in the country
b) If fellows stay in Korea after the fellowship period is over
3) Airfare is not provided in the following cases :
1) If fellows fail to complete the required number of classes (15 weeks) and give up their research
2) If fellows fail to submit a final report or fail to obtain "S(Successful)" for courses taken
C. The provision of the AKS Graduate Fellowship can be cancelled and the monthly allowance as well as airfare paid can be redeemed according to the decision of the Graduate School Committee, including in the following cases :
1) If it turns out that provided information on the application form is false and that the applicant is not qualified.
2) If a fellow fails to meet obligations specified above.
10. Contact Us
◦ Tel : +82-31-709-8111(Ext 214), +82-31-708-5310
◦ Fax : +82-31-709-9946
◦ Email : firstname.lastname@example.org