2015 AKS Research Paper Contest for Korean Studies
The AKS Research Paper Contest for Korean Studies was designed to promote interests in Korean studies among international students and to give them momentum to further enhance their research in the field. We look forward to receiving many qualified research papers or theses.
1. Eligibility of Applicant
Applicants must meet one of the following conditions :
①Both the applicant and his/her parents are foreign nationals.
②The applicant, either a foreign national or a Korean national who obtained permanent residency in a foreign country or who resides overseas, has completed education outside of Korea which is compatible with Korea's elementary, middle, high school and college education.
As of the application deadline, applicants must be enrolled in a master's or a doctoral degree program (or an Honours degree program in some countries where students are required to complete it after obtaining a bachelor's degree in order to be eligible to apply for a master's degree program) at an overseas university.
As of the application deadline, applicants must reside in a foreign country outside of Korea.
An applicant's research topic should pertain to Korea/Korean studies.
※ Please note that applications of previous first-prize winners are not accepted.
2. Subject & Length of Thesis
A. The paper should be an unpublished original work in any field of Korean studies.
B. The thesis should be written in Korean or in English and sent in a Hangul(.hwp) or MS-Word(.doc) format.
C. When written in Korean, the paper should be around 20,000 letters (including spaces) in length, while in English, around 6,000 words, excluding the bibliography.
Number of Winners Sought
A. Submission Deadline : 5:00PM 30 October 2015
B. The selection result will be announced in mid December at the AKS website (intl.aks.ac.kr/english) - Notice, and the prize money will be wired in late December.
5. Required Documents
A. Application Form (Prescribed form downloadable at intl.aks.ac.kr/english)
B. Thesis and its abstract (in a Hangul(.hwp) or MS-Word(.doc) format)
C. Certificate of Enrollment
◦ Applicants should send either an original copy by post or a scanned copy by email.
◦ If the document is written in a language other than Korean or English, it must be translated into and then notarized either in Korean or in English.
D. A Letter of Recommendation
◦ The recommender must be either an applicant's academic advisor or dean of the department in his/her undergraduate/graduate school.
◦ The letter must be written in Korean or in English.
◦ The recommender is advised to comment on the thesis to be submitted as well as the applicant's academic performance and potential.
◦ After completing the letter, the recommender should put it in a sealed envelope and send it by post. Alternatively, the recommender can email the letter directly to the GSKS.
E. A copy of the first two pages of the applicant's passport
6. Submission Guideline
◦ Send the required documents (soft copies or scanned documents) via email to email@example.com
◦ Original copies of the certificate of enrollment and a letter of recommendation can be additionally sent by post to the following address:
The Graduate School of Korean Studies
The Academy of Korean Studies
323 Haogaero Bundang-gu Seongnam-si Gyeonggi-do
Republic of Korea (Postcode: 13455)
A. The prize money will be wired to the bank accounts of successful applicants.
B. Any costs incurred when transferring the money will be at the applicant's expense.
C. Plagiarism or any kind of breach of research ethic may result in cancellation of the prize and the redemption of the prize money.
8. Contact Us
◦ Tel : +82-31-709-8111(Ext 214), +82-31-708-5310
◦ Fax : +82-31-709-9946